Underneath it all

Underneath it all

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thing 5

It was like an enlightenment had occurred, bringing my attention to  the web on how it took several forms of resources and made it assessible in one place; of course the idea is a lot more complex than it sounds.  Although, for the most part I do agree it replaced the phone book, phone, the library, etc., I would cautiously say the web replaced all those things; after-all, those things are still in use, maybe in a different way now- obviously by less people.  I think its important to note how the web changed things along with how the web will continue to change things, so that people like me as a teacher do not become complacent, or like some older people: lost and full of resentment.  Being informed and reminded of this very fact will only motivate me to be eager to learn new things, even if it's to avoid giving my students the upper hand in my class room.

Web 2.0 seems to be the most current and beneficial way to communicate and collaborate ideas.  While reading an article on wikipedia about the subject, I came across the implications for teachers to use it, which it stated "to give teachers the ability to create a more open atmosphere where students are expected to stay engaged and participate in discussions."  It made sense to me, but I did pessimistically consider if incorporating web 2.0 would guarantee communication and collaboration effectively.  I did find the characteristics of web 2.0 helpful in understanding the dynamics of its usefulness.  My understanding is, if students can take their knowledge and skills to combine with the latest technology, learning and improving reasoning would be warranted.  Students will have to apply basic knowledge of information learned in previous classrooms and current one to approach interactive technology. As long as school systems and government agencies are seeing its significants in our society and how its possibilities can promote quality improvement, schools will be expected to use these tools to enhance our students learning and performances, in turn prepare them for positions that will need to be filled to keep up with the way technology is running the nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment