Underneath it all

Underneath it all

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Thing 16

Searching for a start page, I chose "netvibes" for a few reasons. First off, the widgets that were setup for me included a refresh button in addition to the typical tools found in each widget. When I wanted to add more widgets, they were easily found under two tablets: "browse categories" and "essential widgets." The way "netvibes" is setup, I could have all of my "webmail" accounts posted on the same page, along with the weather channel and a clock; all I needed to do was type in my username and password, with the exception of one, that needed the server mail info. Nonetheless, I came across A few things that made me not consider keeping a start page. For one, even though the mail on my "webmail" and Facebook page appear on the start page, once I click on it, I would be directed to a page in a new window each time and required to sign in. I also had trouble linking to the widgets, which the site suggested, as they were listed "unavailable." I liked the calendar in 30boxes.com. The first idea that came to mind was to use it for projects. Since projects are usually broken down, I could use the calendar to reflect various components per day that will lead to a complete project. I could then post this very calendar in a blog used to keep parents informed about whats things that would be of interest to them. It could be that a student seems a little stressed with class. If the parent can see what assignments or activities are passed out, they may be able to relate their childs stress with- lets say-a big project. Note: the calendar can just be a reference to support one idea on the blog, which may not be the only idea being discussed. Something else I thought would be useful is the "to do" list, which if I wanted to, I could create an RSS feed so it's conveniently located with other interests. But just like the start page, I'm not sure of it will be permanent. Since I have a gmail account, I have access to a similar feature; although, I will note, the appearance of google's calendar isn't as nice as 30boxes. The nice thing about Googles calendar is it lists my contacts from my phone as an option to share. What I might recommend is the PDF converter, simply because it can be opened in Adobe, using the assistive technology that changes the colors of the text and document so that it is easier on the eyes and also, the file can the be read to you aloud. This is what I try to use when I can, to work around having being diagnosed with ADD.

No comments:

Post a Comment